Joined: Aug. 2001
||Posted: Nov. 28 2001,11:03 pm
Here's a note on a problem (and the solution) that I had with my Magellan 315, that might be useful, and might apply to other makes and models:
Over the last couple of months my Magellan 315's performance seemed to be getting more and more erratic, seeming to be homing in on the target, then suddenly taking off and leading me to another spot up to a couple hundred feet away. It eventually would settle to the right spot after about 20 minutes and several hops around the area. Pretty frustrating, and it was taking the fun out of caching. I finally asked Thales tech support about it, they suggested clearing the memory, I did, and that cured the problem.
The possibility of using up the memory never occurred to me, since I regularly delete unused user landmarks (waypoints), and seldom have more than a dozen or so going at any one time, but apparently enough clutter (uncleared track history, probably) remained to bog down the system.
Apparently it's like a Windows PC, gotta tend to the housekeeping to keep it working properly.
"If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost!"