Joined: Oct. 2001
||Posted: July 26 2002,8:26 pm
A few weeks ago I found out that the PA state parks will start requiring cache placers to register there caches with the park it's placed in. Included in the form was info on not damaging the ecology, requirements, etc. as well as letting the rangers know what the cache looks like and where it is (good thing IMHO hopefully it will keep the bomb squad at bay). Anyway in the original contract there was a line stating that the cache placer basically has to protect the state and that if anyone was hurt caching the cache placer was responsible to cover the states legal fees and any settlement.
Fortunately the head of the parks was willing to listen to many of us from around the state who wrote letters and the section was removed. Here is a draft copy of the form:
Request it from Cmeade@state.pa.us . Here is what it says:
COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA
DEPARTMENT OF CONSERVATION & NATURAL RESOURCES
BUREAU OF STATE PARKS
GEOCACHE IDENTIFICATION FORM
This agreement is made this day of _, by and between the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Bureau of State Parks (PARKS”) and ____ (not to exceed 5 years); however, the permission may be revoked at any time by the DEPARTMENT acting through a Park Manager or designee.
3. REPONSIBLE PARTY is not permitted to do the following:
a. Earth disturbance or vegetative impact to the approved geocache site.
b. Move or alter approved geocache location.
c. Allow the insertion of hazardous or pornographic materials in the geocache container.
d. Other (state “no other conditions” or list other conditions):
4. The cache may not be placed within Natural Areas or Wild Plant Sanctuaries, or on stream banks, riparian zones, wetlands, prehistoric and historic archaeological sites, exemplary natural communities, ecologically sensitive areas, unique geological features, or unsafe areas.
5. RESPONSIBLE PARTY will remove geocache on or before the date of expiration of this permission; however, if this permission is revoked, RESPONSIBLE PARTY will remove the geocache immediately upon being informed of the revocation by the Park Manager or designee. Park Manager or designee shall be notified by the RESPONSIBLE PARTY when the cache is removed.
7. RESPONSIBLE PARTY releases DEPARTMENT and its agents from any claim arising from injury to RESPONSIBLE PARTY or any other person or damage to any property which might be sustained as a result of RESPONSIBLE PARTY’S engaging in geocache hunting.
8. DEPARTMENT does not assume responsibility or liability for injury to any person or damage to any property sustained as a result of the placement or existence of the geocache, or use of the geocache by any person with any device or for any purpose.
9. DEPARTMENT does not assume responsibility or liability for RESPONSIBLE PARTY’S safety or the consequences of RESPONSIBLE PARTY’S engaging in geocaching.
10. This agreement may not be construed as a waiver of any immunity DEPARTMENT may have.
I have to say that I am very pleased with the interaction that took place. I'm posting this here since a vast majority of you guys are near us. The form will be finalized in a few weeks and then will go into effect. I feel that the state did their part in working with us (from what I hear the same thing is going to soon be required of mt bikers, hunters, etc) and I feel as a geocaching community we need to show that we can work with park agencies (especially in the next few years when issues in National Forests may come up). So if you have placed or plan on placing a cache in a PA state park, please register it. Also if you know anyone who has one please drop them an email and let them know of the new regulation.
"...Not all those who wander are lost..."